Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Illinois Governor in Corruption Scandal

Illinois governor Rod R. Blagojevich was arrested today and charged with corruption. He reportedly was going to try and "sell" President-Elect Obama's vacant senate seat to the highest bidder. This was just one of the many things he was recorded saying he wanted to do to make money. He also mentioned not giving a children's hospital $8 million becasue a board member didn't give him a $50,000 donation to his campaign. He also said that if he couldn't get what he wanted he would simply appoint himself.

The Illinois Congress said that they will hold an emergency meeting to draft a law that they will allow them to appoint a new senator.

5 comments:

Vance Brown said...

I heard about this, but I didn't know all the details! Man this is crazy. I think he was doing this because there isn't much left for him as governor. I read in an article that he had a lower approval rating than our current president!

Jake P. Barnett said...

My favorite thing that I've heard about this so far is the apparent quote he had when he felt he was being undervalued by the Obama team and said "They're not willing to give me anything except appreciation. Fuck them."

Grant Daniels said...

A follow-up...Obama asked Blagojevich to step down from his position because, "under the current circumstances it is difficult for the governor to effectively do his job and serve the people of Illinois."

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE4B955K20081210

Grant Daniels said...

Jake this goes along with your comment. His language is apparently newsworthy. They said it would make Al Capone blush.

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE4B94JF20081210

Jake P. Barnett said...

Wow, and some of the content beyond what his basic swearing is pretty shocking in this as well. I did not know how deep the corruption ran in my own state, but I guess its tradition.