Monday, December 15, 2008

Obama Picks Donovan

Obama selected Shaun Donovan, New York's Housing Commissioner, to be his Housing and Urban Development.

Obama said, "To stem the rising tide of foreclosures and strengthen our economy, I've asked my economic team to develop a bold plan that will dramatically increase the number of families who can stay in their homes...But this plan will only work with a comprehensive, coordinated federal effort to make it a reality."

The only thing I'm uneasy about is Obama is still pushing for every American to own a home right now- shouldn't we let things be fixed before we make more morgages to people who may not be the best candidates?

2 comments:

Vance Brown said...

haha! i was just about to post an article on this. This guy Donovan has been in the business of getting people at subsistence level homes for years. It's final nice to have a president not appoint his CEO friends and appoint experts.

I agree with you cehurley. but at the same time Obama needs to be doing multiple things at once. and there are more people homeless and more jobs lost every month. these people do need support of some kind. i don't think he will take this idea or more families having homes too far too soon. at least i hope he doesn't.

Jessica said...

I agree, I also think that even though he is pushing for every American to own a home, it does not mean he is pushing for them to take out mortgages they cant pay for. I think he understands that having a home is part of the "American Dream" and it is also a very valuable asset to have, probably one of the largest. I think his point is that he wants to reform the system so that people will be able to afford houses in the first place, and not have to worry about paying back expensive mortgages. I'm sure he'll also look to reform the way in which mortgages are lent out--my dad was telling me the rigorous process he and my mom had to go through to get a mortgage, and now I dont think it is even half as hard