Tuesday, December 16, 2008

CPI for the West falls 1.8 percent

The data the Consumer price index for the West has fallen once again, this time by 1.8% in the month of November. This follows decreases in both October and September, which definitely is signaling that our economy is hitting a recession. As the article states, this past year the CPI has only risen 1% which is the lowest in 25 years.

I personally find this interesting because I would have thought that with interest rates so low that inflation would be on the rise. But I think that the fall in housing prices, decrease in oil prices, and the drop in the stock market have been too big.

Personally I don't see this as such a bad thing. Yes, the economy and job market are hurting but I think it kind of good that prices are readjusting downward.
Any personal thoughts?

1 comment:

Vance Brown said...

Hey Nate,

I agree, it makes sense that they would drop because inflation was increased, and all the houses should be devalued.