Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Freedom Fighter

This article discusses how Margaret Thatcher's political changes created such benefit for her country.  It  talks about how she made such an impact even in a peaceful time.  She changed her party as well as her country.  This article discusses how Thatcherism could be affective in today's economy.  Would her principles really solve today's issues?

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21576094-now-especially-world-needs-hold-fast-margaret-thatchers-principles-freedom-fighter

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Margaret Thatcher and I think the economic changes she instituted in England were very beneficial to the country. It is interesting to note however, that my British friends absolutely hate her. My friends are from the north of England and they feel she severely hurt their area by getting rid of many of the jobs there. I think their dislike of her is result of the fact that they simply prefer a larger role of government in their society.

Unknown said...

I do favor Thatcherism too. I think that the role of the government should be limited and free market principles should be embraced. She supported the privatization of industries, abolished state controls, and weakened unions. I believe that unions are inefficient and that if strikes were reduced, working conditions may improve by themselves because workers will be more attracted to jobs with better conditions. In other words, workers will be drawn to jobs with higher effective wages.