Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cote d'Ivoire: The forgotten war?

This article talks about the role of the media in the Ivorian war. About thousand of people have been killed and the country has been sliding slowly towards a civil war between the pro Ggabgo and the pro Alassan (who where both proclaim has president of Ivory Coast). The Banks are closed, there is an ongoing battle right in the middle of the economic capital, people are stranded in their home with no food, and final the borders are close therefore no one can go out nor come in. My family was almost attacked by armed rebels and prisoners that have escaped the prisons and a bomb recently killed one of my family members.

Yet the medias have forgotten about the Ivorian situation because of new up coming stories such has Libya. This makes me question the role of the media and their credibility, They are suppose to inform us about what is currently going on around the world and it seem to me that they are not doing so, instead they select what to information is more important to them or which is good for business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with Sarah. In all honesty, I did not know Cote d'Ivoire was falling into a civil war until I read this article. The media has a very skewed agenda when it comes to reporting news from different countries. The media should give coverage equally and based on which countries are suffering most. I would say a civil war brewing in Ivoire would count.