Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chemical Weapons In Syria

This video from The Economist's website discusses reports that the Syrian Army has been using nerve agents against its opponents over the last few weeks.  President Obama has said that the use of chemical weapons could be the last straw that might pull America into the situation somehow , however to what degree is not clear. Certainly, getting involved in another foreign country would have a large opposition given the failures of the U.S in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the american public would be heavily against another war. I believe it is terrible that the Syrian army would do this but I do not know if the Syrian people would embrace us and I worry that our involvement in the country could turn into another Vietnam-type situation.

Unknown said...

I agree with Austin that this might not be the best opportunity to intervene. With the current cuts in government spending mainly in defense, the biggest six-month contraction since the end of the Korean War, I think it would be unwise to engage in such actions without intentions for a long term commitment. However, I do believe that if the situation escalates, the US will have no choice but to intervene.