Thursday, February 8, 2024

Fast Passes.....yes or no? The wealthy are cutting the line at the airport, Disney World and ski resorts

An interesting article on the topic of efficiency and fairness. What is your take on the ability to pay to skip lines? Is waiting in line to get a service and using a fast pass the same product? What happens when more people use these passes? Are there negative externalities to the people who do not pay? The wealthy are cutting the line at the airport, Disney World and ski resorts

2 comments:

Rachel Madore said...

I believe that the fast pass system works in theory. Although I do not agree with the service, I do see why firms or consumers may be keen to provide or purchase these passes. I do not believe a standard ticket and a fast pass can be considered the same product because their is a weighable opportunity cost. One can choose to spend more money and have more time to ride rides, etc. or they can spend less money and more time waiting in lines. I have personally experienced these externalities. As a native Ohioan, I visited Cedar Point every summer. I remember when fast passses were introduced and I was so jealous of the people breezing by me. However, in the coming years, the fast pass became so popular that those purchasing the fast pass began to have a line. Thus, a negative externality has been created and I no longer envy those people.

Luisa Duarte said...

Gives me the idea that while money might not bring happiness, it can bring efficiency. The idea of purchasing fast-pass tickets may be seen as unfair, but it is a reflect of the broader aspects of life. Money provides access to better education, healthcare, and lots of other advantages. Although it may not be as explicitly charged as a fast pass fee, the accessibility to a higher quality of life, which is facilitated by a higher income, significantly influences an individual's overall efficiency.