Sunday, October 18, 2020

Working From Home Might be the New Normal

In response to the initial wave of the Coronavirus, the amount of people working from home increased dramatically. New innovations in technology allowed the at home worker to be more productive than in the past, we even see this in our own lives, via zoom. This increased productivity is why many companies are planning to keep many workers in their homes, even after we eventually find our way of the pandemic. 

One of the companies listed in this group was Facebook. Mark Zuckerberg said that as many as 50% Facebook employees could be working remotely within the next five to ten years. As of June, Facebook employed over 52,000 people globally. That means that over 25,000 employees will be working from their homes, significantly reducing the amount of physical capital needed for onsite offices.

Do you think in areas of jobs where physical labor isn't needed, that working from home will become the new normal? Personally, I believe that this will be the case. As working from home adds overall efficiency and utility of resources in the economy. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/18/business/virtual-work-offices-pandemic/index.html

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe that working from home will become the new norm for a lot of people in the US. At the beginning of coronavirus many people were sent to work from home and still haven't returned back to work. Many companies have found that they don't need as many employees to come into the building everyday and so they are just allowing them to continue to work from home.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and believe this is where we will eventually be as an economy. I think it was headed in that direction to begin with, but COVID just ramped up the process. Personally, I am indifferent about this. It would be convenient to be able to be efficient from your own house, but I would get tired of being in my house all day every day. I would eventually get bored and maybe not be as efficient of a worker as I would be if I was in the workplace with all of my colleagues. That is just my opinion, but it is definitely moving in that direction for businesses.

Anonymous said...

I believe that working from home will also become the new normal as there was an increased efficiency with people working from home. This was seen across the board but mostly in corporate America which is the most interesting part about the pandemic. I also think that a lot of companies started to realize that face to face interaction is not a necessity.

Muhammad Umer Mirza said...

I agree that working from home will eventually become the new normal. It will be efficient for firms since they can cut down on employment and training costs. Businesses will also have a variety of employment options to choose from depending on their needs, and this will also encourage global hiring. However, I also think that in the long-run productivity and effectiveness of remote workers may decrease. As Cole mentioned, it's very easy to get demotivated and bored when you are working from home.