Monday, October 6, 2008

Woman shoots herself, gets home back

A 90 year old woman in Akrom Ohio shot herself in her 101 year old home after being told she was being evicted. Fannie Mae, her morgage company, decided to forgive all her outstanding payments and sign the home over to her outright. She is still in critical from gunshot wounds in the torso. the police note that the company had tried to serve her the eviction notice at least 30 times before the incident (and before the economy crashed), but she was never available or didnt come to the door.

I think its good that they are trying to help an obviously desperate woman by forgiving her debt, but what kind of message does this send to others in a similar situation, that they have to shoot themselves to get their money back? thats a little rediculous, but I think we might see a spike in these kinds of activities as the effects spread.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I agree that it is good of Fannie Mae to forgive her of her debt, but that it does send a bad message for people who are also desperate to pay their morgages. Not to play down the fact that the woman shot herself, but honestly, they came "at least 30 times" before to serve her the notice...It's possible that if she had just answered the door the first time, she could've taken out a loan from the bank (before the financial crash). Perhaps this woman was unstable to begin with, she is, afterall, 90 years old. Maybe it's time for her to seek better residence?

Logan said...

I agree with the latter part of this post. What kind of message does this send to people in similar situations?! I think it was rather stupid for people to forgive her debt for this very reason. The system would fail miserably if these kinds of extenuating circumstances were given exceptions to the rules, ESPECIALLY after the company came to her door at least thirty times! Sounds like she was avoding them to me...
But honestly, I would feel much less resentment for the "forgivers" in this case if they forgave the debts of a hard-working single mother with three jobs or something of that sort. This is just ridiculous, come on. I seriously am concerned to know how many people will try to shoot themselves in order to get their houses back now.

Nate Scott said...

I don't know. I think this might be a specific situation. I mean if we were able to see fifteen different people doing this I might be concerned. I know this might have just happened but until five other people try to do this just to get out of debt, I don't think people should make this out to be the companies sending the wrong message. I also don't think that she was just shooting herself to get out of debt, I think this is an old lady who didn't want to leave her home.