Monday, September 8, 2008

Cigarette Tax Controversy

According to this article, the government plans to hike up the taxes on cigarettes near the end of this month. It explains that more than twelve states are involved in this tax raising controversy, and from the officials interviewed, none seem too guilty about it. Essentially, the attitude from the top down seems to be "if you don't want to pay the tax, don't smoke." The acticle describes this situation of the tax raising a win-win because teenagers are less likely to start smoking and older adults are more likely to quit. Apparently the officials in charge are raising the taxes on cigarettes in order to lower their deficits and bring in money whatever way they can. In this case: taxing cigarettes.

I would imagine if I were a smoker I would be none too pleased about this proposition, while the article somewhat fails to mention the opposition side. I can see the consumer-side uproar coming from a mile away, most likely to no avail. However, coming from the bias of a non-smoker, I feel as if this is a relatively harmless tax raise. The number of people who will be seriously crippled economically by this tax seem minimal to me. Plus, smoking is bad for you- I feel as if thats rather undisputible. If a tax is to be placed on a good that is rather seriously harmful to the consumer, I feel as if that is not an increase worthy of an outrage. After all, I highly doubt smokers are willing to dump crates of cigarettes in Boston Harbor.

No comments: