Monday, October 5, 2009

Sports and the Law: Supreme Court Gearing Up to Address NFL's Single-Entity Argument

This article discusses the upcoming Supreme Court case, American Needle v. National Football League.  American Needle Company believes that the NFL violated the Section 1 of the Sherman Act because restrained the American Needle Company from purchasing rights to NFL logos by giving Reebok the exclusive licensing rights.  The article discusses the potential outcomes of the case and what it specifically means to the National Football League.

4 comments:

Brandon Luttinger said...

I had no idea that this was even happening to the NFL. I can see why American Needle is so upset because I have never even heard of the company. However, I do wonder why this is now becoming an issue nine years after the NFL's agreement with Reebok.

Robb S. said...

I agree with Brandon - being a huge football fan I had no idea that this was even happening right now to the NFL. I understand where American Needle is coming from however. I would be upset too if I lost my twenty year contract with the NFL to Reebok, but I don't really understand why American Needle is making such a big issue over this if Reebok became the the company which held the licensing power to design and manufacture headgear for the NFL nine years ago. You would think that if this truly was as big of a deal as American Needle is making it out to be they would have responded to the situation earlier.

Alison Kennedy said...

This link is to the Supreme Court of the United States Wiki. It simplifies cases and basically it goes through the many appeals American Needle made before getting to appear before the Supreme Court.

Alison Kennedy said...

http://www.scotuswiki.com/index.php?title=American_Needle_Inc._v._NFL%2C_et_al

Sorry my internet hates me and keeps posting without this link